Monday, July 21, 2008

What are your ideas on Getting out of Debt and Working Hard and Sacrifice?

So we had a great talk yesterday at church about Giving what we can, getting out of debt, and teaching ourselves and our family to work hard. So just brainstorming ideas- what some are ways that we stay at home mothers can help our family get out of debt? I'm looking for saving tips, fugal living tips, and money making ideas?

Also - so I would like to know what you other women think. I want to be home with my children and love them and raise them, but should a mother go back to work to help get her family out of debt, or does that just bring more expenses or problems? We figure that we could totally have all our student loans, car loans and house payed off in the next 10 years by just being diligent and using the "One for the Money" debt pay-off system - but could we do it faster if I worked too? Any experiences out there? Thanks for reading!

After thought- I think I am feeling better about being home with my family vs. going back to work as a nurse. I am just not ready to open that door right now. So what money making ideas have you all heard about for stay-at home mothers that can also teach your children to work?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't go back to work, Tanya. It's not worth it. Tempting though, isn't it? Most of the SAHMs I know have some sort of $-making gig from home. Mine have included everything from newspaper delivery to event planning to data entry to scrapbooking sales. Then there's the occasional, "I don't need this - I'll sell it!" I've even started counting $ saved at the grocery store or by buying things at yard sales as "money earned." These are all things that you already know, though, I'm sure. You're doing great.

Melinda said...

Tan,
I have to continue working until Sam is done with school - two more years. So my preemie baby has to go to day care. We don't have a house and are still piling up the student loans.
I think you are in great shape. A house is an investment. You are both finished with school, so you won't have to get more loans. You are on the paying off side, which is a good place to be. It might be tough because there never seems to be enough money, but just remember how far you are. (A little depressing for me, houses here cost more than double than some places in Missouri, so I won't have a house for a while.)

Brittney said...

I'm sure you're already fabulous at being frugal! In case you haven't seen it though, Pinching Your Pennies is great for saving money (http://pinchingyourpennies.com/). Go to the forums, then Screaming Grocery Deals, then Idaho, then find stores nearby and hear about all the deals.

We never buy electronics (dvds, music, tvs, music systems) new. All electronics are purchased used because they are a million times cheaper - either on ebay, craigslist, ksl.com, or yard sales.

I do some online surveys, but they aren't that lucrative or regularly available. But if you're interested in that, I use www.buzzback.com. Only a few bucks per survey.

Of course I think the best way to save is to have the question, "Do I really NEED this?" on your mind when you are about to make a purchase. Sometimes I have to ask myself several times :) And also remind myself that not buying something is better than buying something on sale - even if it's ridiculously cheap.

Lastly though, I think it's important not to deprive yourself either. Have a little fun once in a while and do some small splurging to stay happy!!

Kristi M. said...

i have been thinking a lot on this too because who would not want to be out of debt. FOr me, I just try to find things to create and sell at home. I have actually done okay making scrapbook albums and selling them on Etsy (and used to on Ebay). I notice that they sell at the right moment when we need the money. I also decided that decluttering my house of unused things helped to simplify my world and help me feel at more peace with things. Then the great thing about that is that I was able to sell many of the things and make a little money. It just made me feel good to have them gone in return too. I also try to use coupons at the stores and my mom has taught me how to really cash in on coupons at Albertsons. We also buy furniture, clothes etc. used if possible because there is no need to pay full price on things like that, especially clothes for kids. Craigslist is a great place to buy and sell as you most likely know.

You can never replace the years when your children are young. I feel so blessed to be able to stay home even if we are not completely out of debt. Gunnar will only stay young once. I did try to go back to work part time when Gunnar was a little over a year. That was a mistake. Gunnar had the worst mommy ever for several weeks. I was drained and tired and miserable and just wanted to sleep all of the time. It was not worth the little bit that would have helped out family. You could always go back to work in a few years when all of your kids are in school. My mom did that and loved it. She was home when we were and gone when we were. Every family will know what is right for theirs and I am sure that you will make the right decision. Debt can be extremely frustrating though. I think we all know the feeling.

Kristi M. said...

I forgot that I was also going to answer your questions from my blog too. The Furminator is so great. It is a little spendy but it gets the hair out like crazy. It has worked better and easier than anything else that we have.

As far as the peppers go, we have not done a single thing to the garden besides water it. Our garden is actually off to the side of a large pine tree. So the way the sun moves and the tree, our garden gets more shade than normal. We tilled up part of our lawn this spring, so I don't know if the tilled grass has created a natural fertilizer/compost. I have no idea but the plants are doing SO well. I noticed one day that our pepper was just growing, watched it for a while and just picked it at that size. We also have a green one that is doing really well too. I have absolutely no gardening secrets because I can't figure out why things are doing great myself. I wish that I was more help. :)

Loughmiller's said...

i know how it is being married to an engineer. They always want something and will try anything to get it. :) It is hard to get out of debt that way. Use the cash system and it works really well. Don't go back to work. You would be sad if you did. Just remember the Lord knows your heart, and everything will work out.