Monday, June 22, 2009

Visiting Karen & Keith

The first week of June - The kids and Tanya headed down to visit Karen & Keith for a week while Karen was getting her last chemo treatment. We had such a nice time!




Little baby Peter loved visiting with Karen so much. She was able to get some of his first smiles while holding him all through church after Bryan's wedding reception in May. And then in the hospital he just smiled and smiled for her. He loves her very much - as do all her neices and nephews!

One highlight was the day Ammi and her 5 children and I with my 4 children, and Keith's 2 nephews and 1 neice all went to visit Karen in her little hospital room. They all sat on the bed with Uncle Keith and Karen taught our children fun musical songs. Hopefully we weren't too noisy for the rest of the hospital - But Karen just kept encouraging and inspiring all the children to sing! It was so fun.

The songs were:
"Lucy Locket lost her pocket, Katy Fisher found it, Not a penny was there in it, Only ribbon round it." You hide a "pocket" (in this case a little box of Nerds!) and sing louder as the person who was it gets closer to finding it.

The other songs was:
"Lock the Diary Door. Lock the Diary Door. Trickle Trackle Tree. I have lost my key. Who has my key? Who has my key? I have your key." And the teacher goes around and pretends to put a key in each child's hand. In one of the children's hands she really does put a key. Then a child has 3 guesses to find the person who holds the key.

The children loved it! Karen is wonderful music teacher to children. And Keith is such a fun uncle! (He had all the kids on the hospital bed and was showing them all the things it could do! The nurse did repremand him a bit, but that is what happens when you have been in and out of the hospital as many times as those two - they learn to have a little fun!)

Also - Karen came home the night before we had to leave to get home for the Looney wedding. That next morning she helped me make and frost the wedding cake for the Looney's. It was a sweet act of service and she did a wonderful job! I love my sister Karen very much and I am so glad for all the memories we have made together.

Other highlights of the week were:
1. Swimming with Ammi and her children at Aunt Millie's home. We spent the night with Ammi and had a fun campfire in the backyard and played the Wii.
2. Weeding the garden with Mom
3. Having the children help me to mow grandma's lawn
4. Eating popsicles on the porch and looking at the beautiful and peaceful mornings on my parent's estate just like I did as a child living there.


I just felt so good to be home, to see Karen, and enjoy being with my parents and sisters and their families. I was sad to leave. Life is all about family.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

That was SO FUN to read!! I could just picture it all. You guys have a great family.

Loughmiller's said...

I just love reading your blog. It is so uplifting. Thanks for being such a wonderful family! What a wonderful example you are to us. I am so glad that you had a chance to see your sister. What a blessing.