The Project: Fulfill the Dreams of Tanya in putting concrete curbing around all of the flowerbeds in the back yard!
Cost: $1.55/linear foot and a lot of sweat, time, muscle, patience, thirst, fatigue, blisters, worn knuckles, wife-neglect, and extreme satisfaction and happiness when the job was done!
(versus $3/foot of hiring someone else do it. I'm still not sure what we would choose to do if we moved and decided to do it again!)
Time taken: 7:30am to 12:30am: 17 hours!+
- 3 hours to get the rental equipment all worked out and pick up more sand
- 1 hour figuring out how to work the machine
- 1 hour for lunch and planning with the Elders
- 11 hours of pouring and finishing edges and mixing concrete
- 1+ hour for clean up
- This not including the design planning time, pricing things out, and the 12+ hours of laying the design out, digging out the sod and leveling the ground that I did preparing for the project.
Ode to Men - Thank you so much for doing all of this hard work! I feel so grateful! I admit, I just couldn't have done it without you wonderful men who worked on this project. I am beginning to realize that men are so very important in building this world and making things nice and wonderful for their own families and so many others! We girls could just not do it without you and I want to give you all credit right here!
1. At the store, I could barely lift the portland cement bags in the truck and I was so thankful for the Lowe's men who loaded the truck for me.
2. At home, I could hardly unload the portland cement bags out of the truck and I was so grateful for our kind neighbors that helped me unload it.
3. When getting the sand from the landscaping company, I got the trailer jack-knifed in a dead-end spot and the kind man who worked there was kind enough to fix it for me and back the car out for me.
4. David was wonderful in picking up the curbing machine for us, loading the sand and keep things upbeat and working hard. We don't know what we would do without good brothers - and we are so grateful to have 12 great brothers! Also David's finishing work was incredible! He was very sorely missed after he had to leave! When I tried to do his job after he left and was getting frustrated because it didn't look right and my fingers were getting the skin rubbed off the knuckles from the concrete, I felt like crying - "David- come back!!!!!" He made it look so easy and did such a nice job, but when I tried, there are quite a few spots that I could just not get it to look right and I am grateful they are now permanent visual reminders etched in concrete to remind me how much we really appreciated David's great finishing skills! Thanks Penny for letting him come out and help us when I know you would have loved his help working on your own beautiful yard!
6. Adam thank you so much for coming when you did! Your fresh strength gave us "umph" to actually finish! And you took over for Derek before he passed out and gave up on ever helping the Orton's on another project again! You were a great mixer and a fast worker and those batches of concrete turned out perfectly! Thank you so much for sticking around and helping Brent to clean things up! Without you we would have given up! Thank you so much Brittany for encouraging Adam to stay and for your fun visit! My children who has been so neglected all day were so grateful to have see their wonderful friends Berkley and Brinley! And Ashers sweet little smile just brightened my day! Thank you so much for coming over!
Here are some of the photos of the project:
And last of all, my greatest appreciation and admiration goes to my wonderful husband Brent. He worked so hard! He endured my questions and "tips" and requests to change things with a smile and willingness to serve. He was bound and determined to make it look nice for me. He always says he wants to give me wings to fly, and he works so hard to help me complete all my dreams and schemes! Today was a gardening dream come true for me and I love you for working so hard to do it. You gave everything you could. I don't think I have ever seen you so tired, so worn out, and so dirty after a project. It was more impressive to me than running a marthon! Thank you my dear Brent. I love you with all of my heart. I want to be as supportive to you in your work as you are to me in my dreams. One of the sweetest things he said to me (Around 11pm) was something like "I won't stop until it's done the way you want." Thank you so much for not quitting me! I love you my dear, sweet, strong, enduring husband. I am forever grateful to have you! I don't know what I would ever do without you!
Thanks again to everyone! Thanks for reading this very long post! It was just a big project and I am so proud of all the hard work that went into it!
6 comments:
Looks great! do you want to come to my yard? :)
WOW! What a project, now if I could just get Scott to my yard and make it look how I want it. Would you like to call Scott and encourage him? He always pulls the excuse that it is too hot. Sheesh! LOL
Tanya, don't feel bad at all for using Derek all day! We didn't have any plans anyways, so I was glad that he was able to help you! I'm also so lucky to have a handy guy. I guess I can share him! ;)
It looks great Tanya! I am so glad you were able to have your dreams fulfilled.
Holy cow!! Great work - and a lot of it, too. And I thought the black plastic edging was bad.
I think thats the first time I have seen Brent with a 5-O-clock shadow :). Looks great guys. Also, if you take up Erin's request to do our yard, let me know and I'll get you some gatoraid :).
Post a Comment