Our story begins in the year 2000. (Which is quite convenient for keeping track of how long we have been married!)
"I'll Never Forget When I First Lay Eye On You"
Early Spring 2000: We met in a hallway in the music building at Ricks College - Brent in his tuxedo going to go sing for a concert (and looking exceptionally bright, happy and handsome), and Tanya looking studious waiting for practice room to open up. Brent smiled and waved as he walked by, and then when he got to the end of the hall, he turned around and came back and introduced himself and asked my name and how I was doing. I was very impressed by him. How can anyone forget his bright smiling face? I do have to admit - I forgot his name -- but I didn't forget his happy face, or how happy I felt after having met him! He really made my day that day!
As luck would have it, during the first summer semester that year, we ended up in the same ward - and the same FHE group! I remembered Brent right away but didn't think he was interested. Little did I know, but He was trying to get his little sister to scout me out. He missed the first FHE meeting, but after he learned I was in his group - he never missed again! We had a lot of fun - Hot Dog BBQs, Twisty Tie Rings, Service Yard Work for an older brother, Classical Music in the Geo, Brent opening my door for me (Big points there!), Tag at Smith Park, Smiles at Church. Then came the big night when he called and asked me on our first date! Hooray! I was so excited that after I hung up with him on the phone I gave a whoop of delight and great victorious, "Yes!!"
First Date: "R" Mountain!
So - technically Brent held my hand for the first time on our 1st date! He was helping me around the on the steep rocks and was pretty sweet to me. We had fun doing these cliff hanging shots! Brent was the nicest boy I had ever met - and so fun to talk with! We both really felt we could be ourselves. After climbing the butte, we went to Beaver Dick Park and roasted marshmallows with the group and Brent and I sat on a rock looking at stars and sharing silly stories from our childhood and some of our dreams. It was the best date we both had ever been on!
Courting is Great!!!!
Brent happened to take me on our first date on the last night I was going to be in Rexburg for the summer. But that didn't stop him from seeing me! He came over to my apartment the very next morning (Looking his best - and me in my scrubbies! :-)) and we spent the morning in the Nursing Lab at Ricks finishing up the semesters last assignments. I headed back home for the summer and we emailed each other like crazy! Every Sunday night Brent called and because we talked so long, my Dad offered to pay him $10 if he would just call before 10pm!
Our next date was to Temple Square and the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to see Legacy. It was great! And Brent was brave enough to put his arm around me - we were both delighted! Falling in love is so fun!
Next I came up to Rexburg to see him and his family in the Rexburg play "You can Do It." It was so fun and they all did a great job! We also took a picnic up to Mesa Falls with his family. It was a neat time of getting to know each other and our families.
We had a great time that summer- talking on the phone, getting to know each other, going to family reunions, and fun family vacations without each other etc. etc. etc. By the time we got back to school in the Fall - We were both pretty sure we had found "the one" we wanted to spend forever with! This led to pure and sweet first kisses, fun dates while Brent drove the shuttle, setting boundaries to keep each other safe, fun walks, making big plans, going to dances together, doing homework together, racket ball, long talks, school ups and downs, devotionals together, and the great day when Brent proposed to me. What a sweet and special day that was for both of us.
And that is how it all started! Pure Joy! Hope you don't mind us sharing our story - but to us it is the greatest one we know! This is how our story begins!
And They Lived Happily Ever After!










2 comments:
That is soooo cute! Thanks for sharing!
What a sweet story! You are perfect for each other. What great examples you are to everyone. We miss you!!!
Post a Comment