Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Young Mothers- What Living Prophets have to say!

Our Church Conference was this last weekend and it was wonderful. Tonight for Family Home Evening we studied the talk from Elder Ballard of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles. This was one of my most favorite talks from conference this weekend and Brent chose this talk for our lesson and asked that I teach it and have the children practice. It was pretty fun to practice together and pretend we were all children helping our mommy. I am so thankful to be a mother and to have these sweet wonderful children! I hope that I can follow Elder Ballard’s counsel and cherish the sweet moments and find joy in being a mother! I also know that Elder Ballard is inspired by the Lord. Throughout Conference, I was praying that the Lord would help me to feel His Love and know what I could do to be a better mother. He answered my prayer in a very specific and wonderful way through this talk. I am thankful for a loving Father in Heaven who loves us and gives us the help and direction we need through living prophets.

So here are some of the highlights of Elder Ballard’s talk. (This is the short version – If you want to hear the whole talk - go to http://broadcast.lds.org/genconf/2008/04/50/GC_2008_04_58_BallardMR__09487_eng_.mp3 - It is a pretty fun one to listen to!)


Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children
By Elder Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on April 6th, 2008

“No role is more essential or eternal than that of Motherhood.”

“There is no one perfect way to be a good mother and each situation is unique and each has different challenges, different skills and abilities and certainly different children....What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply, and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else.”

It is crucial to focus on the children for the short time we have them with us, and to seek with the help of the Lord to teach them all we can before they leave our homes. This eternally important work falls to both mothers and fathers as equal partners in life.”

“We have enormous respect and gratitude to you mothers of young children. We want you to be happy and successful in your families and to have the validation and the support you need and deserve.”

Mothers:
What can you do as a young mother to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?

#1: Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments.

“There will be hard times and frustrating times but amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction!”

#2. Don’t overschedule yourselves or your children.


“Families need unstructured time when relationships can deepen and real parenting can take place. Take time to listen, to laugh, to play together!”

#3. Gifts and Interests:

Even as you try to cut out extra commitments, sister, Find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick 1 or 2 things that you would like to learn or do that can enrich your life and make time for them.

“Water can not be drawn from an empty well. If you are not setting aside a little time that replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to other, even to your children. “

“Avoid any kind of substance, any kind of substance abuse, mistakenly thinking that it will help you accomplish more. “

“And don’t allow yourself to be caught up in time-wasting, mind-numbing activities-- things like television soap operas and surfing the internet.

“Turn to the Lord in faith and you’ll know what to do and how to do it.”

#4. Pray, Study, and Teach the Gospel.

Pray deeply about your children and about your role as a mother. Parents can offer a unique and wonderful kind of prayer because they are praying to the great and eternal parent of us all. There is great power in a prayer that essentially says, “We are steward parents over thy children, Father. Please help us to raise them in wisdom and in the way that Thou would have them raised.”


Husbands:
What more can a husbands do to support his wife and the mother of his children?

#1. Show extra appreciation and give more validation for what your wife does every day.
- Notice things
- Say thank you often
- Schedule some evenings together just the two of you

#2. Have a regular time with your wife to talk about each child’s needs and what you can do to help

#3. Give your wife a day away now and then.
Just take over the household and give your wife a break from her daily responsibilities. Taking over for awhile will greatly enhance your appreciation for all your wife does. You may do a lot of lifting, twisting and bending. :-)

#4. Come Home from Work and take an Active role with your Families.
Don’t put work, friends, or sports ahead of listening to, playing with and teaching your children

Children:
What can children, even young children, do to help their mother?

#1. “You can pick up your toys when you are finished playing with them. And when you get a little older, make your bed, help with the dishes, or other chores without being asked.”


#2. “You can say “Thank You” more often when you finish a nice meal, and when a story is given at bedtime, or when clean clothes are put in your drawer."

#3. “Most of all, you can put your arms around your mother often and tell her you love her.”

Church: What can the church do?

#1. The Bishoprics and ward counsels be especially watchful and considerate of the time and resources demands on young mothers and their families. Know them and be wise in what you ask them to do at this time”

“Behold I say unto you, by small and simple means, great things are brought to pass.”

“I hope that all you dear sisters, married or single, never wonder if you have worth in the sight of the Lord and to the leaders of the church. We love you. We respect you and appreciate your influence in preserving the family and assisting with the growth and the spiritual vitality of the church. Let us remember that The Family is central to our Creator’s plan for eternal destiny of his children. The scriptures and the teachings of the apostles and prophets help all family members to prepare together now to be together eternally. I pray that God will continually bless the women of this church to find joy and happiness in their sacred roles as daughters of God. “

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how we all hear different things during conference? Your kids have gotten SO big! Your family - and dogs - are absolutely adorable. I love how your personalities scream through in your blog - especially since you are some of the happiest people I have ever met!! :)

Loughmiller's said...

AMEN!!! I loved this talk. Too bad stan fell asleep during it. He will need to read it now. I love your blog, and I am so glad that we can keep in touch.

Brittney said...

Thanks for sharing! That was one of my favorite talks too :)

Casey and Sheryl said...

Such great messages! Especially something inspirational to go along with the new Spring season! I found your blog from Brittney's, how fun! I really loved your menu ideas. Once I'm doing the cooking again I will definitely check it out :).

Mary C. said...

Brent & Tanya, we finally got a blog, it's dougandmaryc.blogspot.com

vdg family said...

I loved the talk too! I love it when the Spirit speaks to our souls and hearts! Sometimes these things seem written just for us! :) I love reading what you wrote!